Thursday, May 3, 2012

Toddler Made Oobleck

Pin It Now!

I have a new obsession: messy sensory play!  While looking around Pinterest I was taken to the blog Growing A Jeweled Rose and feel in love with all her awesome ideas.  She does a monthly messy themed sensory play date that is so cool!  As soon as I saw it I knew it was something I wanted to start up.  So, in June I will be hosting a messy sensory play date for my mom group and I can't wait!  Until then, Avery (and maybe Parker a little, too) will be doing research to decide what we want to include in our play date!  We started out with Toddler Made Oobleck.  Now, we have played with oobleck before but I approached it a little differently this time.  First, I wanted her to experience all stages and phases of it.  Second, I wanted her to get into it, literally!  So instead of letting her explore pre-made oobleck in a bowl on the counter, I gave her an under-bed storage container and a box of corn starch.  I didn't tell her what to do with it, I just let her explore it however she wanted.  She spent a good 30 minutes with the corn starch alone!  



She immediately dumped out the whole container!



After she played with it for a while, we talked about what it felt like.  It was a wonderful opportunity to introduce some new vocabulary words.


She thought it was really cool that she could draw/write in the corn starch.  She started out just drawing shapes and lines but then decided to practice her letters.


After that she decided it was time to get in. At one point she told me "I want corn starch on my tummy" and proceeded to lie down in it!


Next, I simply put out a bowl of water but didn't say anything.  She wasn't that interested in it at first, she would just keep looking over at it.  But after a while she finally started adding it to the corn starch.


She started out adding one spoonful at a time but finally decided to pour the whole bowl of water in.

And just like before, she had to get into the container!


Boy did we have fun!!!


Can't wait to do our next messy sensory play!  

Do you have any fun messy sensory play ideas?  I'd love to hear them!

Tuesday Tots

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I love this idea and great way to contain it with an underbed storage box.

    Thank you for linking to Tuesday Tots and we look forward to seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a lot of fun and the under-bed storage worked perfect! Thanks for hosting Tuesday Tots!

      Delete
  2. Okay I am I have a 3 year old and will be doing this with her now :-)

    ReplyDelete